Here’s a bonfire night recipe – a sausage and bean casserole with a firey twist…..perfect for warming toes and hands after the fireworks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 lean/healthy choice pork sausages
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes (800g)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tin haricot beans (400g)
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large, wide bottomed saucepan. Gently fry the onions until soft. Add in the sausages and cook until browned.
- Add the chopped peppers, garlic and any spices you are using. Season with pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes longer.
- Pour in the tomatoes, white wine vinegar and stir well. Add the stock cube and simmer gently for 30 minutes, checking occasionally and adding additional water if required.
Stir in the beans, and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Serve with a crispy jacket potato.
Download sausage bean casserole pdf here